Good Practice Commitments
- Water management and recycling
- Recycling and reuse of aggregates
- Dust suppression in operation for plant movement, production processes including crushing and screening
- Developing markets for by-products
- Adoption of noise suppression and reduction techniques
- Implementation of waste management systems across all locations
- Energy conservation projects
- Site restoration and aftercare
- Landscaping and improved visual amenity
- An ‘environmental operative’ is in place at all locations. This role encompasses all aspects of the environment ensuring that the company is adhering to our legislative requirements
- A manager dedicated to environmental matters
Waste Management and Disposal
Our objective is to eliminate, reduce, reuse and where possible recycle all forms of company waste. By doing this it is possible for us to improve our environment, maintain a safe and healthy workplace for our employees, increase operational efficiencies and achieve savings.
Eliminating the generation of waste at its source is a prime consideration in all plant operations. The company is committed to identifying and implementing waste reduction opportunities through encouragement and involvement of its employees.
We promote cooperation and coordination between industry, local authorities and the public towards the shared goal of reducing waste at its source, reusing and recycling waste wherever possible.
- All sites now segregate waste, ensuring correct waste streams for handling, minimisation and recycling of materials. This includes office materials, manufacturing and construction waste.
- Ensuring that waste streams are accurately identified at all locations facilitates an effective and efficient waste reduction strategy that also complements recycling.
- AG have replaced existing air compressors with VSD controlled compressors across all sites. This is one of the most effective ways to save energy. While other energy saving methods may shave singular percentage points off the overall consumption, a variable speed drive saves 30%.
- As part of AG’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions from use of oils, AG have changed all curing systems used in product manufacture to gas. This reduces CO2 emissions by 30% and is a leaner, more energy efficient method.
- Flag production recycles 75% of the water used in grinding the natural aggregate flags.
- The Toome paving plant installed environmentally friendly mixers which reuse washing water for the mixing process.
- Implementation of an internal environmental management system, based on ISO14001:2004.
Control of The Working Environment
Any industrial process can lead to pollution of the surrounding environment and atmosphere. In the quarrying and concrete product manufacturing industry, our processes involve blasting raw aggregate, crushing, screening, washing and, finally, the various production processes to create our extensive product ranges. Dust is the main environmental hazard within our plants.
- In recognition of this the company has developed an environmental policy, which outlines the company’s commitment to the environment.
- Train staff to ensure that the workforce understands the environmental impact of both the individual and company activities, and environmental policy commitments.
- Actively promote the communication of issues concerning the environment to staff, suppliers and customers.